Sunday, April 30, 2017

Space Dynamics Altered Book

I have been playing all weekend with pages for my latest altered math book. This one is titled Space Dynamics. I used some of the ideas I developed recently for folding curves and spirals on page spreads. I think the results are dynamic, just like the title says.



New page design folded on the diagonal.

Nesting pages to see how they interact.

More nested page samples.

Space Dynamics altered book finished.

Side view of the five nested pages.

Space Dynamics with her sister Vector Analysis.

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Altering Old Math Books

If you follow my blog, you know that I have been working with spirals recently (okay, obsessively). I took a break to clean out the studio, but now I am back to work on altering a set of math textbooks using spirals. Yesterday I played with some new ideas for keeping the spirals attached to a two page spread. I plan to alter the pages, nest them into 2-3 page signatures, and sew them on tapes. Then I can glue the tapes back into the covers and create dynamic books. The pictures below show my experiments so far.



Three pages nested into a signature.

Saturday, April 22, 2017

Back to Work

I have been away from the blog and creating paper art for a while, partly because I decided to completely redo my studio so that I can teach in the space and partly because I haven't had any creative ideas recently. I spent lots of time going through all my 16 years of collected bits, keeping some and donating the rest. Then I had to select a new storage unit and teaching table for the space. Here are some pictures of the before and after. I am sure in another 16 years I will need to do this again, but for now I have space to create and teach!



A reflection of the old crowded office.

The new arrangement with one work desk and a teaching table.

The new table and storage unit.

This storage unit replaces all the boxes I used to store under my work tables as well as much of the paper from the closet. It feels great to tidy up!

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Spiral Play

The more spirals I make the more ideas I have for modifying Tomoko Fuse's original designs. Here are a few samples I recently created and my notes on them.


Lots of sample spirals.

Variation #8 and a dress idea.

Variation #9. I really like this one.

I haven't made #10 yet, just described it. #11 has two forms shown here. One is flat (11b) and one pops up (11a) depending on how I treat the center of the spiral.

Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Cut and Fold in Black

I have wanted to try cutting a design in paper before folding it into a spiral and today I finally had the time to sit down and do it. I will let the pictures speak for themselves, except to say thank you Bhavna for teaching me to think about cutting as positive and negative space. Your teaching made this what it is!



The finished spiral.
Cutting the first panel with the tools of the trade.

All the cutting is done.

Partly folded spiral

Finished spiral. The paper is black on one side and silver on the other. It makes a nice contrast.

Thursday, February 2, 2017

Playing with Spirals

I enjoyed making Vector Analysis so much that I decided to play with the basic spiral from Tomoko Fuse's book and see what kinds of variations I could create. I also wanted to make some spirals from large sheets of paper. Here are some of the results.



Many spirals folded on graph paper. The straight lines make folding easier and the paper is inexpensive as a test surface.

Notes on variations of the trapezoid spiral.

Good quality, thin Japanese paper ~ 24 x 36 inches being forded.

The paper was so large and thin that I had to fold differently than for the small 8 x 12 samples.

The finished spiral. I invented the turn in that gives it a leaf shape at the top of the picture. It was a happy accident. The finished spiral is 11 x 12 inches.

Wednesday, January 18, 2017

"Vector Analysis" Altered Book: part 2

After consulting with a couple of artist friends (Thanks Mom and Bhavna for the advice.) I decided the altered book I blogged about two weeks ago needed something more to make it complete. First, I added paper from one of the original book pages to the spine area to cover up the dark brown. Then I had an epiphany one night and realized I could make a spiral to fit into the spine. I worked on a prototype and it fit! So I made a few more using strips from the book's pages. In the end I needed 7 pages or 56 inches of length to make a spiral that measured 9 inches long. Below are pictures of the strips being folded with before and after pictures of the altered book.



The strip on the left was the prototype. I unfolded it so I could repeat all the measurements and scoring in the correct orientation.

Here are the first 5 strips creased.

Before the spine was decorated.

How the spine looks now. The center spiral is really 7 small spirals joined together.

Before the spiral.

After the spiral was added.

More views showing how all the spirals interact.

Before the spiral.

After the spiral was added.