Saturday, March 14, 2015

How to Make a Tunnel Book

I have tried several times over the years to make tunnel books. They are wonderful, interactive structures that are visually appealing as well. I have not been very successful in my endeavors as my "pages" tend to warp and bend. Last month at a San Diego Book Arts Salon I met a woman who makes beautiful tunnel books and she was working on one invented by Ed Hutchins. She downloaded the directions here and I came home and did the same. Fast forward to yesterday when I finally had the time to make a tunnel book myself. Below are pictures of the results. This version of the structure has lightweight side hinges and doubled pages. In other words, no more warping!

I used a roll of craft paper for the base structure and it worked beautifully. I used three pages from an old calendar to get the images, but you can use anything, or just draw your own images. I hope you will be inspired to try this project.

-Gina


1. Choose images.



2. Cut and fold craft paper (8" x 30") and lay out images.



3. Cut holes in pages so you can see through the tunnel.



4. Pasted first image and cut in an oval around elements you want to keep.



5. Paste down the other images and glue side tabs together.



Finished tunnel book with 4 layers of images.



Top view of tunnel book.



Side view of book with hinges showing.

4 comments:

  1. Great idea. Thanks a lot! for a long time I have tried to build a tunnel book, and now with this information, I can do it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found some helpful information here. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Merci ;-) J'aime beaucoup faire des livres-tissus en assemblant des motifs découpés pour former des pages incomplètes qui laissent voir la suivante et deviner les autres. Et je pourrai faire ce collage avec mes petits quand ils viendront en vacances... ;-) Merci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci pour le commentaire. J'espère que vos petits-enfants apprécieront la rédaction de ce livre.

      Delete