Monday, September 14, 2015

New Accordion Book

I was playing around with a straw paper one day while waiting for my burger to arrive and I folded this structure. When I got home I cut some paper (2.25 x 23 inches) and recreated the same pattern with a couple of twists. It made the 2 page square "book" you see in the pictures below. There was a nice interaction between the front and back side of the paper so I colored or decorated each differently to accentuate the contrast. In the first example, I wrote two versions of a Haiku one on each page and then wrote the story of the origin of the poems in white pen around the folded structure as shown. When the book is folded up into the 2 page version there is a nice interplay between the black poem text and the white story text. When the book is unfolded parts of each side appear and the text is randomized.

The second example was made using a stencil and stamps from Seth Apter's new line. I used the stamps in red on one side and the stencil in blue on the other to give contrast when it is folded. I like the randomness of where the graphic elements appear in the folded version. You could plan out placement, but I like the surprises that arise this way.

If you can think of a name for this structure please tell me in the comments section. I am stumped.

Enjoy,

Gina


Finished book folded to show two pages and Haiku.



Back of folded book.



Book unfolded showing triangle accordion folds.



How the book wasvfolded when I wrote white text (front and back).





Second example showing book closed.





Book open, but folded.





Front and back of unfolded book.


9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I like it. Thanks for stopping by and now my structure has a new name.

      Delete
    2. You're welcome :) Thank you for the post. It is a fascinating structure. I have really been enjoying your blog since I found it via Pinterest.

      Delete
    3. I checked out your book arts blog yesterday. Very interesting.

      Delete
    4. Oh, thanks. It is very neglected :)

      Delete
    5. Good ideas are always fun to explore no matter when they were posted.

      Delete
  2. Hi Gina - How about "straw poll fold"? I love that you "doodle" with the paper that the straw comes in. I do as well but I only do 2 really simple folds - a chopstick rest and an abstract flower. I need to increase my repertoire! See you in October! - Jade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jade, I make a chopstick rest too. That is how this book got started. I folded my usual chopstick rest triangle in the middle and then I just kept folding and this was the result. I will show you samples when you come in October. I like your name for the book too. Now I have to choose from two great options. (An embarrassment of riches.)

      Delete